NEW RTC™ 29 GEOMETRY
Before we began the 2012 Vertex RSL and Element 29 projects, cross country 29er geometry was all over the map. No one had yet taken a firm stance on what the best race geometry was and we knew we could improve on the status quo. We needed to kill the myth that 29ers weren’t good for tight and technical terrain and prove that 29ers could be just as playful and fun to ride as 26ers. We tested countless geometry configurations with our team racers and we quickly zeroed in on what we believe is the perfect race geometry for a variety of terrain. RTC-29™ Geometry is characterized by:
- Super Short Wheelbase and Chain Stay Length – The myth that a 29er can’t handle technical terrain ends here. With an actual chain stay length of 445mm and a 1097mm wheelbase (medium size), Element 29 will shred the tightest and most technical race courses.
- Shortened Top Tubes – We reigned in the TT lengths from our previous 29ers to give the rider a more natural, 26” bike feel with more maneuverability.
- 70.6° Head Tube Angle – Head tube angles on 29ers vary widely, so we experimented extensively with different angles in the prototype process. Our riders unanimously concluded that 70.6 degrees delivered the perfect balance of stability and agility for a full suspension XC 29er.
- Less BB Drop – We raised the bottom bracket slightly over our previous 29” wheel bikes. While minimizing pedal strikes, this also allowed us to further tuck in the rear wheel, which helps with lifting the front end and getting weight over the rear wheel, making this 29er more maneuverable in tight sections.
- Wider Fit Range – We can now comfortably fit riders from 5’ 4’’ to 6’ 6’’.
|A. Head Angle||deg||70.6°||70.6°||70.6°||70.6°||70.6°|
|B. Seat Angle||deg||74°||74°||74°||74°||74°|
|– Seattube (C-T)||mm/in||394/15.5||432/17||470/18.5||508/20||546/21.5|
|C. Toptube (Horiz.)||mm/in||558/22||582/22.9||605/23.7||630/24.8||655/25.7|
|D. Headtube Length||mm/in||100/3.9||110/4.3||120/4.7||130/5.1||145/5.7|
|E. Chainstay Length||mm/in||445/17.5||445/17.5||445/17.5||445/17.5||445/17.5|
|– BB drop||mm||-39.5||-39.5||-39.5||-39.5||-39.5|